Sunday 5 May 2013

Three Fairthorpes out to play at kit car show.


I spent a pleasant day today at the Stonleigh kit car show in Warwickshire, it was the first time I had been there in over 20 years. My father Frank and I had exhibited at the show over a period of 4 years when we were rebuilding Fairthorpes and producing the Fairthorpe Pathfinder kit cars. It bought back memories of happy times spent working with Frank bringing Fairthorpes back to life and developing the Pathfinder.


 I travelled up in one of my Electron Minors, following fellow FSCC member Rob James in his yellow EM nicknamed `May`. My EM was purchased in September last year needing some work as it had been off the road for nine years. It had the usual problems suffered by a vehicle that has been laid up, requiring brake and clutch cylinder work, new front brake shoes and wheel cylinders etc. The Stromberg carb required a strip and service and a non standard handbrake cable arrangement had been fitted which simply didn`t work, this has been replaced with the correct set up. As usual with Fairthorpes the first thing to go chassis wise are the rear box section outriggers, i had new sections folded up and I cut the repair sections from these and welded them on.

Having wandered round the halls and purchased a few parts Rob had to head for home, he had only been gone 5 minuets when another Fairthorpe arrived to take his vacant parking spot. The new arrival was Richard Holden with  his immaculate Mk1 EM, his car is a credit to the marque inside and out.

 
789 ERO my other EM is hopefully having the bodywork finished off in the next month or so in readiness for a nice new paint job, once that has been completed it will be back on the road again.

No comments:

Post a Comment